Friday, October 14, 2016

Times flying, one month gone

I have completed the first month of the ten I will be spending on exchange.  This is so shocking to me it feels like I've been here barley a week.  But there are things that are normal now that definitely were strange when I got here.   
All my blog posts have been about big things such as arriving in country, a big celebration, my host family, and school but for this blog I would like to just focus on one day, a common day.  
Today you will learn about my day, today October 12th.  I was going to wake up at 4:55 to finish some notes, but when my alarm went off I decided to sleep in until 5:30, which is the latest I can wake up to get to school on time.  When my alarm went off for the second time I groaned and picked up my phone and turned on Three Little Birds by Bob Marley to motivate myself.  First I clumsily put my contacts in, which caused me to cry because I poked my eye really hard.  After the contact ordeal I went to the bathroom, and like usual the toilet was not flushing, so I got the bucket from the shower room and went down to the chicken barn place where our water tank is.  As I waited for the bucket to fill with water I checked in on the 550 baby chickens my dad brought home from Accra this past weekend, they are so cute, but by Christmas they will all be killed for selling.  Once the bucket was full I hauled it up to the house and came in the kitchen door so as to not spill water in the living room.  To flush you just pour the water in the toilet and it usually flushes pretty well.  After dealing with the toilet, I went and got another bucket for my shower.  Since getting to my family I have taken two bucket showers a day one in the morning and one in the evening.  This morning taking the shower I flinched when I poured the water on my head, the water was so cold.  The good thing about it being cold is that it is very effective in waking me up.  After my shower I came back to my room and changed in to my uniform and put my belt on with the assistance on a sewing pin.  After getting dresses I brushed my teeth, and took my malaria medication.  Once presentable I packed my backpack with everything for school except my lunch an water bottle. 
          Most mornings I have two eggs and a less sweet form of hot chocolate.  To get the eggs I went down to the barn, then came back up and fried them while water heated up for my drink.  My mom was also in the kitchen like she is every morning making me and Gladis (my little sister) lunch for school, so I greeted her with a smile and a good morning hug.  Once my breakfast was ready I brought it to my room were I ate and played games on my phone.  When I finished my food I filled up my water bottle by biting a sashe and pouring the water into the bottle.  Once I was completely ready to go I got my lunch from the kitchen which was vegetable rice with some tomatoe sauce and fish, all cooked Ghanian style.  With everything I needed for the day I headed out yelling goodbye to my mom.  I put my school shoes on and headed out.  My dad wished me a good day as I passed him leaving our "yard."  I left my house around 6:40, and I walk to school everyday which takes me about 15 min so today I arrived at 6:55.  Most boarding students (which is a every one) go to assembly in the morning at 6:20 but I don't.  So this morning everyone was just getting out of assembly  when I arrived, so I arrived at class with everyone else.
             My first class this morning was core math which is like pre-algebra so I already know most of it, but that is ok because so many other things in my life are new.  Math is from 7-8:20 then we have a break that is 20 min were many kids go eat breakfast in the dining hall but I don't and neither does my best friend here Idira, we just talk, copy notes, or finish up homework.  Today Idira was really tired and not feeling to well so she slept and I coppied notes.  Our next class was social studies where we're learning about conflict and peace.  But today got sidetracked and the teacher started telling us how homosexuals are unacceptable, then went on to explain rape very poorly.   I sat very tight lipped through that class because saying what I believe would not help anyone, it is very hard for me to not speak up because I'm used to standing up for what I believe.  That class was from 8:50-10:10, and then we had English from 10:10-11:30.  In English we discussed what literature is then started reading a play.  Everyone who had forgotten the play at there dorm had to go around the school and pick up 100 pieces of trash which was over half the class, so like 25 kids.  I did not have the play but that is due to me not being here last term so I got to stay and read out of Idira's book.  After English we had geography from 11:30-12:50.  It was the first time with this particular teacher and I think unfortunately he is not very good.  He asked a question and when 8 different people could not answers instead of explaining the answer he got them all in trouble.  So for the whole class my stress level was very high and I could not think clearly, thankfully the one question I answered I got correct.  After geography everyone expressed dislike, because not many people learn well under that high of stress.  
         Thankfully we had second break next which is a half hour.  Technically your not supposed to eat in class but I do everyday.  Me and Indira share my lunch because my mom gives me so much and Indira does not really like the dinning food.  We ate today and talked to lots of kids.  Indira's twin sister came and talked with us and I talked to many others who wanted to be friends with the white girl.  The last class of the day was CRS but the teacher showed up a half an hour late, had us do some class work while she left for another half hour.  So that class had a lot of talking and little work done.  School got out at 3:20, everyone went immediately to siesta, I talked to the PE teacher before heading home because of a verbal quiz he gave yesterday that I did not do well on.  I think it is because he says the question and gives you 10 sec to answer, and most of the time I can't understand his accent.  Thankfully PE won't matter when I go back to the USA and I only have it once a week.  
         My walk home is always pretty good, I pass by three stalls were the people know me and greet me everyday or have a full conversation with me.  To day the first lady I passed talked to me for a few minutes while I tried to figure out her broken English.  What I could tell is that she wanted me to study hard for school.  The second stall has a girl who talks to me, but today she was sick so she was not much into talking.  The third stall has three ladies who try to teach me Fante every time I pass by, and today was no exception.  
         I got home and got some food then lay down for awhile and played some games on my phone and now I'm writing this blog.   This was not a remarkable day, it is just like my others days.  What is special about today is that it is the first day since I got to my host family that I have not been homesick, so that is pretty great.  I hope it lasts I'm guessing it won't but it is a start.

9 comments:

  1. Great post Avery! Sometimes a normal day is actually the most interesting! I love hearing about Indira and her sister (can you tell them apart yet??). If love to hear more about their life. Have fun over there! I hope the "not homesick" lasts!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Avery! Thanks for sharing your experiences, even this ordinary day is so fun for us to read about! Have you been enjoying their food? I remember the banku or foo foo was really slimy, do you like it? I'm happy to hear you have made some good friends,the days will pass quickly, hang in there, you're a trooper and are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day in the life! But do you all eat dinner together? What about the novellas on TV? Makes me smile that you have bonded and made friends. Keep up with the ' not homesick' part. Dad and I are in the yurt. Taking a breather after a good day building bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avery, just started reading your blog today. Love your day entry. The little details are the best! The neighbor ladies on the way home are awesome. Take care, we are thinking of you in Idaho...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bursch family is thinking of you Avery...Sounds interesting and emotionally tough. From my experience it will get easier. Its weird, but we can get used to almost anything, it just takes some time. Loved your narrative. take care,love Capt Cate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Av! This is my favorite post yet! Sometimes those ordinary days make the most intense and interesting narrative. I could really put myself in your shoes reading this. Keep up the posts! I love reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you Avery for the update in your life. great to here from you, about you and how you feel and deal.I am reminded of my time as an exchange student in Finland so many years ago. I first lived on a country farm. your post reminded me of the adjustment time there. I had no school, since I was a 20 year old.. I remember the isolation of not speaking the language very well, also the curiosity of everything it was all mixed with happiness of the new, the curiosity of the unknown and some times the frustration of acceptance of difference,, yet in the end the experience has been most precious for me and has helped shape who I am.. keep calm as well as you can, enjoy as much as you can.. love hearing about the life and times of the young Alaskan lass in the African country of Ghana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avery-
    wonderful post and your deets are s interesting!

    It must be hard t hear a teacher say things that you don't believe in-but hold on to your truths girl.
    I am glad you have a best friend, how did you meet her?
    When does soccer or other activities start?
    I know it must be hard to get up so early but FRESH eggs are definitely a bonus- love little chickies.
    So happy you are not homesick anymore-yay!
    Love,
    Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avery
    Its November 3rd now.
    Halloween has come and gone.
    The BIG election is in 5 days!!!
    All the leaves have finally fallen from my trees, mornings are cold and snow is on its way.
    Thinking of you and hope to hear the next chapter soon.
    Love,
    Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete